While there’s plenty of parking available it’s still a great idea to arrive about fifteen minutes early to grab a nametag, drop off your coat, find a place for your potluck dish, say “Hello!” to a few people and find a seat. We make an effort to begin at the posted time, usually 4 o’clock p.m.
Our meetings begin with some rituals that will be quite familiar to UU’ers:
- First, whoever is leading us on this particular day will light a Chalice with a brief reading or poem to help us all take a deep breath and “arrive” together.
- Next, we are all given an opportunity to light a candle to share a joy or concern in our lives.
- There is also an opportunity for any relevant, brief announcements of upcoming events.
- The speaker for the day will then present an Exploration on a given subject. This usually lasts approximately 20 minutes. Examples of previous Explorations from 2014 include:
- “Belonging To Each Other” with Rev. Amy Rowland;
- “Love Calls Us On” with Rev. Alicia Forde;
- “Prayer and Meditation” with Marnie Buckley and Deb Pritchard;
- The book, The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert presented by Gary Wyngarden;
- “Renewal” with Tom Pritchard;
- “The Role of Education In Reducing Inequality” with Jim Wallendorf;
- “Inequality And Responses To It” with Bill Baird and Gary Wyngarden;
- “Meditation on Interconnectedness” with Rev. Alicia Forde.
Some excerpts from previous explorations can be found at Food For Thought.
Now, here is where we change things up a bit from the usual UU church rituals to allow for a more interactive, social, small-group gathering:
- After the Exploration, the speaker may provide us with a few questions or topics for discussion in break-out groups or a talk-back session.
- The Chalice is then extinguished with another reading, or perhaps a unison song.
- For the next hour or so, it’s time for mingling, wine and potluck. Click here for potluck tips and recipes. At about 6:30, we all help clean up in order to leave by 7:00 p.m.
If you haven’t yet, we hope you’ll come over and join us for our next Exploration and Potluck!